This summer the Riley family made their way to Sayre, OK to stay a week at the Red River Ranch Retreat. It felt like we drove all the way across Oklahoma, and the 3 1/2 hour drive took us closer to 5 because the girls (and maybe me too) needed lots of breaks and we stopped frequently. I think a portable dvd purchase will be in our near future. I never would have thought I would buy one but those girls need to be entertained and me turning around singing and making silly faces only lasted out of the neighborhood. The ranch offered lots of things to do, so I will tell you about our week...with, of course, pictures!
This picture is actually when we packed up and were on our way home but as you can see the car was just as full when we left the ranch as when we arrived. Jared makes fun of me for the way I pack because I tend to "over" do it. It's fine with me because we did not need anything at all while we were there because I practically packed our house.
We went for a walk to check everything out on the first day. (Quinn was taking a nap so she missed out on the cousin photo op) Just a word of warning, strollers are a big pain in the yaya when you are carrying them over cattle cards while children are sitting in them. I guess I should have thought of that...we were on a working cattle and horse ranch so naturally we had to cross 4 of them just on our short walk.
Across from our cabin was a fenced in petting zoo with sheep, geese, chickens, ducks, and cows. Claire had the best time feeding the ducks. Malachi had the best time chasing the sheep!! It was too cute.
They had a salt water pool with a diving board and slide. This was the picture right before we left. They look like they are ready to go.
Both girls spent most of their time in a floaty or having Jared or I (mainly Jared) hold them. The water was freezing so I tried my best to just have my feet in. Claire did, however, manage to fall in from the steps while trying to catch a floating away pool noodle. I was able to get to her and rescue my little princess. She was kicking and kicking but her head never made it above water. She was just fine but did tell me it scared her. The best part was that as soon as I realized she went under I was very calm and collected. (Ummmmmm....that may not be entirely true.) ;)

I actually had to get into the freezing water because my brother pulled me in, so I figured I would freeze out Quinn too. (The girls actually didn't mind the cold water. I am just a big baby.)
Lounging
You could ride horses while there. Claire fed the horse and it scared her to death. So when it came time to sit her on a horse for a photo opportunity she refused! (I just realized the picture of Quinn with a horse did not load...it will be on a blog by itself.)
The girls loved this trip because they were able to be outside a lot. One of their favorite things!
This is pretty typical for Quinn. She loves the wind in her hair. When outside she often just stands or sits there and lets the wind blow. Super cute!

They also had bunnies! We were so excited when we found out we could hold them. Claire tried but the bunny was nervous and it made her nervous so she decided petting it would be best.
Tuesday, June 7, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment